Role Playing Frenzy
Have you logged in yet? If you're new, why not register!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Role Playing Frenzy
Have you logged in yet? If you're new, why not register!
Role Playing Frenzy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cbx

The Dark Tower

3 posters

Go down

The Dark Tower Empty The Dark Tower

Post by tony stark Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Largely considered Stephen King's greatest work. Seven books make up the main series though an eighth (The Wind Through The Keyhole) is supposedly being written. It's based upon the Robert Browing poem Childe Roland To The Dark Tower Come, which itself is a beautiful peice of work. And Browning based it on a line in King Lear that was similiar to the poem's title.

The reading order is;
The Gunslinger
The Drawing of The Three
The Wastelands
Wizard and Glass
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Sussanah
The Dark Tower

The story follows Roland Deschain, the last of Gilead's great gunslingers as he pursues Walter O'Dim/Randall Flagg/ Marten Broadcloak, aka the Man In Black and in turn Roland's quest for the Dark Tower. The series explores Roland and the reader is constantly engrossed in his development, his old regrets and grudges, his first love, his first family and how he grows to love a new group of companions, Jake Chambers, Sussanah and Eddie Dean.

Its honestly the most beautiful series, though it starts very slowly. I'm completely in love with Roland and Eddie but I also find Jake and Cuthbert adorable for different reasons.

It's known for being the book that ties almost every King book together, for example, any metaphor where people are said to be like gunslingers or characters showing up in Roland's story (Callahan from Salems' Lot, Patrick and the Crimson King from Insomnia and Ted from Hearts In Atlantis being ones I can think of).

A film adaptation and TV series is being worked on by the people behind The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons and before, when JJ Abrams was rumoured to be directing on it, Christian Bale was the lead contender to play Roland. This is of course irrelevant to the literature of it, I jsut thought I'd throw it in.

And Marvel comics are in their sixth cycle of Dark Tower comics the arcs being; The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home, Treachary, The Fall of Gilead, The Battle of Jericho Hill and The Gunslinger. The mastermind behind the comics is Stephen King's personal research assistant, Robin Furth.

Anyone read it?
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

The Dark Tower Empty Re: The Dark Tower

Post by Gingerduckii Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:58 pm

I'd like to be able to read Stephen King faithfully...but i just can't.

I've read and really enjoyed two of his smaller books, The Girl who loved Tom Gordon and Gerald's Game. But I tried to read The Talisman, and it was okay, a bit slow but i found it readable until the few last chapters.

I just remember the section where the main character is dragging his cousin (who has a broken leg) down this railroad track, and then he's carrying his cousin and then they stop in an old abandoned train carriage to sleep then they're walking again and tehn he's carrying his cousin and then they walk some more and then he's dragging him again...etc.

I can't really remember much else of the book which is kinda annoying to me because I nkow that I will not be able to pick it up again. I put the book down for several months and forced myself to go back to, I was so happy when I finished it. But it's kinda put me off any of his bigger novels.

I wish it hadn't and I wish I did like him for all of his writing but I have never read the Dark Tower series and I don't think i ever could. =(
Gingerduckii
Gingerduckii

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 am

The Talisman is pretty terrible, but I like to blame that on his co-writer, who I tried to read and just couldn't stand tehe But seriously, I agree King can be off putting, I haven't been able to read a King since attempting Cell. Jfc, Cell would make The Talisman look like a work of art if you didn't like it lmfao Cell is just mortifying in my opinion.

You probably wouldn't like the Dark Tower then, because its apparently linked to The Talisman in away, or more, to the sequel of The Talisman XD Because I'd heard they were awful but had to try them because I'm trying to read all the interconnecting stories XD
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingerduckii Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:34 am

Yeah i had Yxita tell me about The Dark Tower and some of what she was saying kinda reminded me about The Talisman.

I'm not a big King fan, I think i could manage his smaller books but i dunno. I'll stick to my Pratchett ^_^

Though I have to ask, are you a Terry Pratchett fan?
Gingerduckii
Gingerduckii

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:37 am

It's probably best I don't get started on Pratchett. Cannot stand his work would be the nicer way of putting it XD
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingerduckii Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:38 am

Ahhh

see I have a theory, if you really like Stephen King then you hate Pratchett but if you love Pratchett you odn't really like King.

I don't know but every person who likes either author i've asked that question pretty much fits the bill of that theory. It's weird
Gingerduckii
Gingerduckii

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:42 am

Everyone I know who's read both likes both XD
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingerduckii Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:48 am

really?

That's strange, but why don't you like Pratchett? I won't get offended. Free speech and all that jazz
Gingerduckii
Gingerduckii

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:57 am

I did initially like him, back in high school with the first one I read, then I read a few more and the writing style bored me, the characters seemed dull (at this point I'd never read a King book) particuarly when I compared them to characters from other things I read and the plots just seemed a bit silly to me. It's the same with Shakespeare though, I initially liked him then something put me off. All in all I've only stayed completely faithful to one author in my life and that's Feist XD All the others I've started to hate after a while lmfao
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingerduckii Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:40 am

ahh i see, i think it depends no which of his books you read, i havne't read them all but there are some that I can't get into. It's odd how you say you get bored or writers but i suppose it could happen, though sometimes a familiar plotline is comforting.
Gingerduckii
Gingerduckii

Back to top Go down

Post by tony stark Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:12 am

Familiar plots just make me all angry lmfao
tony stark
tony stark

Back to top Go down

Post by Yxita Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I've read Gunslinger and LOVED IT! I've also got Wolves of Calla here but I can't find the other books to read in order.
Yxita
Yxita
General

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum